Monday, March 29, 2010

Monday Monday

I can't believe that this was my third Monday at Wekiwa.  Time is really flying... I must be having fun.  Today included the usual morning meeting with the park staff at the shop and then the Monday morning meeting with the administrative staff.  A good portion of the day was spent in the office writing a memo and finishing up some other projects.  After lunch, I got out of the office for a little while to unlock a box at the ranger station and take a walk around the spring.  It was nice to talk to a few visitors and I even got to see some butterflies.  Two Eastern Tiger Swallowtails were feasting on a vitamin shake (aka mud puddle) and they let me get so close.  I tried to take a picture and realized that even though I had been toting my camera on my hip all day, I did not have a memory card in the camera.  I was able to quickly switch to my phone and get one photo before they flew away.
IMG00075

When I got back to the office, I did a little more paperwork and then my coworker received a call notifying us of some canoers who were having some trouble on the river.  My coworker did some calling around and checking into available resources to help these people.  It eventually looked as though we would have to canoe out to look for them because no one else was available.  By the time we made it down to the water though, some other canoers arrived and reported that the group in need of assistance had been righted and was back on track to return to the park.  River exploration will have to wait for another day.  We returned to the office and talked about the rest of the week and the projects on the agenda before calling it a day.

Thought of the Day #87
My Mondays have changed a lot from Troy to Wekiwa, but a Monday is a Monday everywhere.  At Troy, Mondays were full of reports and bank deposits and paperwork.  At Wekiwa Mondays are kind of a reset day where we meet with each other and discuss ongoing and upcoming projects and events.  Mondays at both places are like black holes where time goes.  While important and productive in their own way, Mondays are seemingly time consuming with little to show for it at the end of the day.  We'll see what the rest of the week will bring.

No comments: