Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Coincidence

Today was another officey day.  I processed some more paperwork for our newest employee.  I think it may never end.  I also got caught up on some projects that had been put on the back burner for a little while.  I made the whole office laugh when I called to speak to someone named Mary Ann.  Her co-worker, Ginger answered the phone so when I said "Hi Ginger, is Mary Ann available?" everyone thought that I was phoning Gilligan's Island.  I didn't even realize the connection until I hung up the phone and everyone was laughing.  I wonder if they hear a lot of Gilligan's Island jokes at their office.  I had to make some edits to a data-filled report that I completed about a month ago.  My eyes began to cross from going through the difficult database and I knew it was time to break for lunch.
While I was at home, I took the dog out for a walk around the yard.  As we were headed back to the door, I was delighted to see three butterflies around the Lantana!  I was just talking about them yesterday and wondering why I hadn't seen any.  It was just my bad timing, but it worked out today.  All three Gulf Frittilaries were enjoying the Lantana and the Honeysuckle.  It is difficult to hold a leash attached to a Great Dane in one hand and a camera in the other and take macro photos of things that fly, but I managed to get a few shots.
IMG_8649
IMG_8648

I'm glad that I caught the butterflies because there were no other photo-worthy views before me for the rest of the day.  After lunch, I went out to the youth camp to pick up a community service worker and transport him to another work area.  I went back to the office to pick up a few things that had to go to the Ranger Station.  By then, it was time to head to the district office.  The district office is conveniently right down the hall from my office.  I was taking part in a conference call with parks throughout the district and it was nice to be able to be in the same room as some of the people on the call.  During the call, we discussed our volunteer programs, our interpretive programs, our new ADA database for keeping the parks accessible and compliant, and safety issues.
Before I knew it, the day was almost over.  I chatted with some of the rangers about plans for tomorrow and wrapped up any loose ends from the projects that I worked on today.  It was a good day, but a quick one.


Thought of the Day #36
I feel like the blog is not as exciting as it was when I was a Park Ranger.  I'm glad to be able to show the changes between being a Ranger and being an Assistant Park Manager, but I miss being able to show all the cool things to find in the park... I miss seeing all the cool things in the park.  I spend a lot more time in the office than I ever have.  My coworker is off tomorrow, so hopefully I will need to spend more time in the field tomorrow in his place.  I know that I have some office work to take care of though.

No comments: