Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy Halloween

I guess everyone was preparing for the holiday. The park was very quiet today aside from woodpeckers and squirrels. There was only one car in the parking lot most of the day, at one point there were two. Two boats came to the park also. One group of boaters fished on the river bank and the other group spend some time talking with me and some time enjoying the park. I talked with the few visitors and tried to keep myself busy with small projects that I could easily put down if a usual Saturday crowd showed up. I completed the paperwork that I had to do from the supply purchase that I made yesterday. I sent some e-mails. I put a new dust collecting back into the shop vac and vacuumed the office. I picked up some sticks that had fallen. I also took several walks around the park. Little clumps of mushrooms were popping up everywhere. The squirrels were happy, I saw a few of them munching on the mushrooms.
IMG_4883
The turtles were all over the spring, as usual. One brave little guy even hung out on the rock while a small group of divers went in and out of the water.
IMG_4886
It was a beautiful day, I wore shorts and was never too hot or too cold. The lizards were happy for the warming sunshine. These two Fence Lizards were both appropriately on a fence together. The male was generously showing off his beautiful blue scales for us.
IMG_4889
IMG_4888
Near the Fence Lizards, I saw a tiny yellow flower. There aren't many other flowers still in bloom.
IMG_4894
Very close to the flowers, I found these two Lubber grasshoppers mating in the grass. I snapped a quick photo and gave them some privacy.
IMG_4895
In the next area that I walked to, a spider web crossed the path. It was the web of a Spiny Orb Weaver. I watched the spider for a minute and then looked to my left. There was a giant spider egg sac. I don't know if it was the sac of the Spiny Orb Weaver or if another kind of Orb Weaver had found this spot.
IMG_4902

No comments: