Thursday, February 4, 2010

Disc Hawk

Today was a nice day off.  My fiance (*grin*) and I went to play some Disc Golf in Gainesville.  We were there early in the day and because it was a weekday, we almost had the course to ourselves.  More people began to show up in the afternoon.  It was a nice warm day but there was some wind that gave us a little extra challenge.  I especially enjoyed being able to take our time because there was no one waiting behind us.  I was able to look around and watch nature a little more.  Here are some things that we saw.

There were two Red-shouldered Hawks that I really enjoyed watching.  They were constantly on the move, but staying in one general area.  They would perch on the nearby pavilion or on a tree branch and then swoop down to the ground to catch a snack.  I don't know if they were after large grasshoppers or lizards or what, but they were finding a lot of them.  While we played, I kept an eye on these two hawks.  I finally realized that they had a nest nearby.  They were hunting in the area around the nest.  I am guessing that these hawks will have some eggs in that nest in the coming months.  I was a little surprised that I had never seen the hawks around before.  I guess they know how to stay hidden when the park is crowded, that's good.
IMG_6966
IMG_6967
IMG_6968

A few beautiful trees had burst into bloom since we were here last.  They looked so pretty next to the blue, blue sky.
IMG_6971

We both played pretty well today.  Our practice is paying off.  My drive is getting much longer.  I did get into a bit of trouble though.  I didn't hit as many trees as I usually do, but I hit the water a few times.  We also had a few Saw Palmettos try to eat our discs.  I really like these much better than the prickly briers that we have dealt with on other courses.
IMG_6972

Speaking of briers.  I noticed this Greenbrier which is another relative of the prickly Smilax.  I thought that its berries were beautiful.
IMG_6974

Near the end of the course, my fiance almost stepped on this Carpenter Bee.  It was grooming itself and seemingly smoothing its fur.  I was able to take two photos before it flew away.
IMG_6981

4 comments:

Anne said...

Congratulations! :)

Lorena said...

Tee hee hee! Fiance! Hee hee! We're so happy for you! *hugs*

Ranger Amy said...

Thank you!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, A & I! And a late Happy Birthday.

Aunt G & Unca J